[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
Advanced Ball Striking • View topic - "The Barkow" Quarterly Webzine

"The Barkow" Quarterly Webzine

Re: "The Barkow" Quarterly Webzine

Postby CheeseDonkey » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Terrific to have you here, Mr. Barkow! Looking forward to your posts (and finding all your past stuff)...

Cheers, Cheese
CheeseDonkey

Postby 1teebox » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Mr. Barkow,
Good news hearing your webzine is on track.
Looking forward with great interest to your stories and commentary.
Best to you.
1teebox

Postby twomasters » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Hey Al,
Did you get the pics from Lag?
They are on his system if you need them. We had an issue about transferring them as I have that big camera and never brought my USB cord to download pics and Lag's sytem didn't have a SD slot to insert the card.
Then after a lot of brainwork we took the card from my camera and put it into Lag's Camera and downloaded it -- another brain and we would have been lonely on that one.
Took a while to work it out!! Sometimes simple things are so hard.
Looking forward to the putting book- especially after seeing some of your long lag putting at Pasatiempo that day !!
I enjoyed meeting you and talking- wish we had more time but we shall catch up again soon. Thanks for signing my Barkow books !!
twomasters

Postby twomasters » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Al,
I remember us talking in California last month and you mentioned something about the way Gene Sarazen used to grip the club.

I found this old rare book by Sarazen and it has a close up of his grip placement. I think you are totally correct about that left thumb position. The pics seem to show it way off the side of the grip
Attachments
scan0012.jpg
twomasters

Postby Styles » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Is the webzine working?
Styles

Postby broberts5 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 pm

When I used to work with Henry Picard, he showed me that grip and said it was the original interlock grip. I found I could really get my elbows close together with that grip.
broberts5

Postby Al Barkow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:56 pm

twomasters wrote:Hi Al,
I remember us talking in California last month and you mentioned something about the way Gene Sarazen used to grip the club.

I found this old rare book by Sarazen and it has a close up of his grip placement. I think you are totally correct about that left thumb position. The pics seem to show it way off the side of the grip

Bradley, I saw the grip first hand when Gene and I played some golf during the Shell Show years. As I think I mentioned to you, often I asked him where he got it and he wouldn't say. Finally I got it out of him when I asked if he got it from Alex Morrison, who he didn't like much. Sarazen said he got it from Francis Ouimet, and when you look back at pictures of players from that era you do see a lot of baseball type grips. Morrison got it from them, no doubt, but modified it with an extremely strong left had.
I'm here with John finishing up my Webzine Quarterly and getting my book up for customers. Hope you're working on your game and getting it ready to bring out where it belongs. Have good holidays.
Al
Al Barkow

Postby Al Barkow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Styles wrote:Is the webzine working?

Styles: Sorry to be so long in responding. I'm still getting used to working on line. Yes, the Webzine is working. The first Quarterly will be on line tomorrow, December 18th. Look forward to your comments.
Al Barkow
Al Barkow

Postby Al Barkow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 pm

broberts5 wrote:When I used to work with Henry Picard, he showed me that grip and said it was the original interlock grip. I found I could really get my elbows close together with that grip.

Sorry to be so long getting back to you. Things got a little hectic for awhile, and I am still learning to connect with the internet in this way. You worked with Henry! Where? He was a very interesting man, lots of integrity, and knowledge of the game. I don't know what he meant by "original" interlock. He learned the grip from Alex Morrison, as you probably know, and Morrison, according to Gene Sarazen, probably got it from Francis Ouimet; that's who Sarazen learned the grip from. I mean specifically the left thumb off part. I remember Henry telling me that the left thumb off was the one thing he didn't buy from Morrison, his mentor, but when he injured the thumb his doctor told him that it was either take the thumb off or have an operation and Henry went for the thumb off. He went on to win a Masters and PGA.
Good to hear from you.
Al Barkow

Postby Pippolo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Can't wait for your book Mr. Barkow!
Pippolo

PreviousNext

Return to Al Barkow Quarterly Webzine Forum