[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 920: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2956)
Advanced Ball Striking • View topic - "The Barkow" Quarterly Webzine

"The Barkow" Quarterly Webzine

Re: "The Barkow" Quarterly Webzine

Postby Al Barkow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 am

sb944 wrote:Hi Al, I have started up 3 months ago and decided to do things right, so started off with Lag's drills for the full swing, and have since been practicing mainly my chipping, which has improved vastly. I need to do more, but also want to start working on putting, so I downloaded your book. I was a little wary at first seeing as it's so small, but after reading, I know I will have to re-read it 2-3 times just to make sure I'm not missing anything. It really is crammed with information. Nice work!!!

However, I have a pretty clear problem. I am right hand dominant, but swing the golf club left handed!!! Don't ask why. My left hand isn't really too bad for strength and co-ordination, but my right is still better. Should I stay as a left hand putter, and use my dominant top hand to drive the stroke, or should I consider switching my putting to right handed to take advantage of a dominant bottom hand? I'm not worried about losing my stroke, as I just don't have one yet, but still wonder whether it's worth the switch?

sb944: That's a tough one. You have ambidexterity, which is the mark of all good athletes. I would say that if you are right-hand dominant in the sense that you do much of your small tasks with the right hand, you should switch to putting right handed.
Al Barkow
Al Barkow

Postby Al Barkow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:00 pm

NRG wrote:Great book Al,

Am going to start reading it again, lots of new stuff to think about there.

Do you have any advice for someone who only ever seems to miss putts to the right of the hole?? and don't say aim left.

Neil.

NRG: Styles has given you some good advice. I would add that you make sure you're standing still during the stroke. As I write in my book, that is so often the issue when missing either right or left, especially from in close. Fix yourself to the ground and make the stroke with only your arms. It may feell a bit stiff at first, but you will see/feel a difference.
Another idea: Get a little closer to the ball at address to assure a more straight-back/straight-through stroke. And yes, make sure your clubface is aimed where you want the ball to go.
Al B
Al Barkow

Postby eagle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm

AL,
I know it must be obvious, but I cannot find your putting book...is it listed on Amazon?
Thanks/eagle
eagle

Postby bentshaft » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:48 pm

eagle

its on this here site---

http://albarkow.com/
bentshaft

Postby Addington Arnie » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:26 pm

The page to order from is http://www.finalwordonputting.com/

I enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to trying some of Al's recommendations out.

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby eagle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks guys....and if it helps me, it can help anyone.

Happy New Year !
eagle
eagle

Postby Al Barkow » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:52 pm

eagle wrote:AL,
I know it must be obvious, but I cannot find your putting book...is it listed on Amazon?
Thanks/eagle

You can get the book now on-line at: finalwordonputting.com or: albarkow.com I think you'll enjoy it, and get good help from it.
Al B
Al Barkow

Postby cypress » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 am

Al,

I'm very familiar with your writing and work on the Shell's WWOG shows so I felt that your 'Last Word on Putting' book would be a good investment. It turned out that it was better than that! I've been struggling with my putting - particularly under pressure in local tournaments - for the past 2 years or so. It got to the point where I really did not want to compete for fear of embarrassing myself. The simple techniques have really helped. I'm putting a good roll on it and building my confidence back using the simple advice in your book.

1. Weight left
2. stand closer
3. split hand grip using the right hand more
4. "hood'/"tilt"/Tuck" the blade - somewhat similar to the old "Square-to-Square" swing method
5. watch the ball being hit to keep steady

This stuff really works and it works under pressure. After thinking about it, I pretty much used to putt that way 25-30 years ago. I used to watch Casper practice putting at our New Orleans tour stop in the 70's and liked his technique. I adopted most of it for a while but - for some unknown reason - I decided to change. I guess I thought I found something "better". This game is lot more fun when you're making putts. Aside from the instructional parts - the book was a very entertaining read as well. Then again, all of your books are! Thanks again

John M.
cypress

Postby sb944 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Great stuff cypress, I can't wait to start spending some time working on my putting.
"Dividing the swing into its parts is like dissecting a cat. You'll have blood and guts and bones all over the place. But you won't have a cat."

Ernest Jones
sb944

Postby Al Barkow » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Cypress: It has always been a puzzle to me that golfers will come up a method that works and will somehow go away from it. I guess it's because we take it for granted and get involved in some other piece of business. But of course, nothing about golf can be taken for granted. Anyway, I'm really happy to hear that the book is helping, and especially under pressure. Onward and upward with the five dollar nassaus. May they always fall your way.
Best, Al Barkow
Al Barkow

PreviousNext

Return to Al Barkow Quarterly Webzine Forum